If you have been experiencing back pain, your chiropractor might recommend spinal decompression therapy as treatment. At Riverside Chiropractic in Alexandria, VA, we provide exceptional chiro care, including decompression therapy. Read on to learn more about this treatment option.
What Is Spinal Decompression Treatment?
Decompression therapy for the spine involves using computer-aided technology to treat chronic neck and lower back pain related to disc bulges, herniated discs, and degenerative discs. The decompression can be done both non-surgically and surgically. The treatment that your chiro doctor will provide will be non-surgical.
How Does It Work?
In this therapy, motorized traction will be applied to your spine to gently stretch it, leading to a change of position and force of the spine. This relieves pressure causing back pain from the nerves and spinal disc. Additionally, it generates negative intradiscal pressure, encouraging the herniated disc material to reposition correctly. This reduces lower back inflammation and relieves pain. Therefore, it prevents surgery for back pain that is stress induced.
Moreover, as you age, the discs that sit between your spinal bones lose fluid leading to less protection between each bone and the spine becoming more compressed. The gentle forces of this chiropractic care treatment lead to lower pressure in the discs and the spine becoming de-stressed. This results in improved blood and an increased supply of healing nutrients to the injured area.
What’s the Success Rate of This Treatment?
According to data from various reliable medical sources, decompression therapy provides effective long-term back and neck pain management and relief for more than 75% of patients who complete the treatment. Santa Corona, a hospital in Italy, released a report showing that non-surgical decompression therapy helped 78% of 41 patient they treated effectively manage back and neck and have a better quality of life.
Benefits of Decompression Therapy
- Eliminates spinal compression and pinched nerves
- Reduces intradiscal pressure
- Encourages disc rehydration
- Increases blow flow and nutrient supply to the spine
- Prevent herniation advancement
- Improves spinal mobility
- Boosts joint mobility
- Prevents new injuries
- Boosts the immune system
- Encourages the development of core strength
- Prevents the guarding of muscles
- Reduces back and neck pain making it easier for you to do your daily activities
- Lowers stress levels
- It makes the spine less likely to degenerate or breakdown
Why Should You Get Chiropractic Decompression Therapy Over Surgical Decompression?
- It’s non-invasive; therefore, it doesn’t require any medication or recovery periods
- No risk of infections or allergic reactions to anesthesia
- You don’t have to take addictive painkillers or get other side-effects
- It addresses the cause of the pain and corrects it rather than just managing the pain
- Fast results – you can expect some pain relief after the first session with a chiropractor
Seeking Chiropractic Care in Virginia?
Welcome to Riverside Chiropractic, serving Alexandria, VA, and the surrounding areas. Our chiropractors are dedicated to providing you with exceptional services. Call us today.